Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

To be trusted is a greater complement than to be loved.

Trust is like gravity: without it, we're screwed. But trust is also a gift and people need to stop taking advantage of it cause trust is also like a vase- if you break it, it can be mended but never fully repaired.

I feel like there are 2 types of people in the world in relation to trust: type A people who trust someone until they give them reason not to, and type B people who don't trust anyone until they give them reason to trust them. I, myself, happen to be like type A. I don't know how type B people ever trust anyone. I mean how do you give someone reason to trust you? I can't think of a circumstance where someone could provide me with a reason to trust them... but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, a lot of times I look like a fool, trust people I shouldn't, and regret trusting someone; but I learn from my mistakes and I give everyone a fair chance.... and usually a second... and generally a third. Some people may think I'm foolish and naive in doing so, but if people didn't give me a chance to be trusted, they'd never know how trustworthy I am.

If you're are a "Type A" person: be prepared to look like a fool. A little over a month ago I was talking to this guy who I was interested in. I thought he was cute and a talented musician and from what I knew about him, he was a very kind person and a great listener- however I didn't know him personally. I decided to introduce myself using the whole cliche "hey do I know you?" message on facebook- even though I knew exactly who he was. Don't deny it, every single one of us has done it. It usually works, and this time, it did. He messaged me back a few hours later and this lead into a 3 day conversation. He told me about his music career, his numerous record label offers, his celebrity friends- cool things that completely excite a girl who wants to enter the music industry. I felt so cool talking to someone who would one day be a professional in the career path I intended on following. I was in awe. I believed every word he said and ate it all up like a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting and rainbow sprinkles. It was only about a week later that I found out it wasn't even him responding to me. His friend had hacked onto his computer and responded to every single message. I felt like an idiot. I was an embarrassed fool. I was humiliated. I didn't even know what to say. But you know what? whatever. I didn't have reason to believe he was lying. I was kind of bummed but I decided to give the real him a second chance and I'm glad I did. Although most of it was a lie the first time around, I was able to learn other really cool things about him. He may not be best friends with Akon, but he was still a genuine person.

My point is: trust until you are given reason not to it's better to look like a fool for being mistaken than to look like a asshole for not even giving someone a chance.

Today at dance practice we did a trust fall. I absolutely hate trust falls- always have and always will. I'm not the skinniest girl nor am I short. I think tall people really have a disadvantage in trust falls- we have more weight that needs to be caught, a larger frame that needs to be cushioned, and the surface area of our bodies is definitely larger than those of the peanuts on my dance team. I happened to be partnered up with one of my friends whom I really trust. She is one of my best friends and I tell her everything. But I still couldn't trust her today- I refused to be farther than 3 feet away from her and I refused to close my eyes when I fell. I trust her completely with my mental health, but her skinny little butt had absolutely no chance of catching me. I'll be honest here, my hips don't lie- but they do really throw me off balance. I don't know why I didn't believe she'd catch me- but I still took steps back closer to her every single time.

I think those of us that trust often- trust partially. It's like what we lack in fully trusting someone, we make up for in the amount of people we trust. If that made any sense whatsoever. It made sense in my brain, but for some reason I feel like you went back and re-read that sentence multiple times.

Moral of the story?
Trust is like a flower: the greater time it has to grow, the more beautiful it will be; but be sure to plant the seed and give the flower time to grow- otherwise you're garden will be uglier than a cinder block wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment