Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

If you think life can't get any worse, you seriously lack a sufficient imagination. If you think life can only get better, you seriously lack a functioning brain.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone needs to be thankful for what they have. We all take for granted how lucky we are and how blessed out lives have truly been. But at the same time, you never know when that will be taken away. Your dreams may seem to be coming true, but you never know when reality will set back in. Story of my life. Just as things begin to go the way I hope, they decide to make a complete U-turn at the next intersection. Example A, my music career. I feel like I'm playing monopoly; it's like every time I roll the dice, I always seem to end up in jail and have to skip my next turn. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have another turn coming eventually, but you get to the point when eventually just isn't good enough.

In life we all seem to ride in the middle lane- never getting to close to the edge of the cliff but never wanting to be right next to the barrier either. It's like we constantly live our lives half-ass. We don't want to live life completely on the edge because in all honesty, it's never worth gambling everything away for one good time; but we don't want to live too safely because we don't want people thinking we are cowards. We are constantly worried by how we are perceived that we live life in the average lane. By trying to be different, we are conforming to what society tells us to do.

I am on my school's dance team and last year we had one dance in particular that fell into this category at one point. One of our dances was basically a recreation of the SAW movies through dance. It was creative, obscure, and uniquely beautiful. At one competition a judge told us that by trying to be original, we are actually blending in. I thought she was on drugs when she said it because #1: it didn't make sense and #2: it was completely untrue. But by applying what she said to life, I began to understand what she was saying.

Everybody wants to be original, but we learn what originality is from society. We think originality is one specific fashion, so we replicate what we see as "original" and in doing so it loses its originality and becomes the next trend in the world. So we find ourselves at the same average position we began at and can't seem to move away from.

Because we live in such an neutral phase in life, things could always get worse. Always. I guarantee that everyone has more to lose than they expect. And trust me on this, you really don't know what you've got until it's gone. Don't take advantage of how great things are in life because I can promise you they could easily get worse.

But if you think life can only get better, you must have been living under a rock for your entire life. Welcome to Reality: the land of sucky people, broken dreams, and complete and utter idiots. Life doesn't owe anyone anything- and trust me- it knows it. There will always be someone there to rain on your parade. And it will rain, storm, and hurricane until you finally pack up your floats and streamers and move on. That's just how life goes. No one ever said life was fair, just eventful.

So just enjoy what you've got and be happy with where your life is because there's no guarantee that it will get better, nor is there any promise that it's as bad as it's going to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment