Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Everybody has a safety net- it may just be temporarily under construction.

Shit happens. That's life. We can all give a nice warm shout out to Adam and Eve for screwing everything up. But without evil in the world, good would not seem as great. The magnitude of everything would be so much less if its opposition did not exist. I mean if sadness didn't suck, happiness wouldn't be worth celebrating; If frowning didn't use so many muscles, smiling wouldn't be as easy.

My last few days have sucked. I'll be honest. I mean if you couldn't tell by my melancholy memoirs. I kind of felt like I didn't have a safety net. I felt like I was falling and there was no one there to catch me. But in reality, my safety net was there all along- it was just made out of fishing wire so I couldn't see it. I realized that I have friends and family who are always there for me. Once I realized that, I couldn't help but smile. I mean the red velvet cupcakes and slurpee my friend brought me definitely helped, but I was just thankful for the people that I had in my life at that moment who were there for me.

I'm quite aware of the cliche saying, "We adore the ones who ignore us and ignore the ones who adore us."
It's so incredibly true. It's human nature to want to be liked. No one likes having enemies or being hated. But for some reason, we think we can change people. We enjoy chasing after the broken and then making them whole. We go after the lions who no one can seem to tame in hopes that we can domesticate them. It's a prestige thing. If we can tame the one who can't be tamed- then we have won. Good luck to any one who's trying to tame Miley Cyrus cause she obviously "can't be tamed." But in focusing on chasing the lions, we forget about the little kittens at our feet nibbling on our toes and purring. We completely ignore those who love and adore us and disregard them as if we expect them to always be there. I know I say this a lot, but we are so spoiled as a society. We are so self righteous and expect that whatever we have already acquired will always be ours. But you never know how long that kitten is going to stay there nibbling without acknowledgment before it runs away and finds a new owner.

Let's face it- if no one has been able to tame the lion before, don't expect to be the exception. One of my favorite movies is "He's Just Not That Into You." If you haven't seen it, get on netflicks or to blockbuster pronto. I learned so much from that movie and it is all so true. We always think we are the exception, but we never really are. It's not a bad thing, it's just a matter-of-fact thing. Instead of chasing after the lions, we need to play with the kittens. We need to ignore the ones who ignore us and adore the ones who adore us. And I guarantee that everybody has more kittens to play with than lions to tame. Deep down inside we are all that 87 year old cat lady. Don't deny it.

So on a happy note, be thankful for what you have. Be grateful for the people in your life. Never take for granted the opportunities you are given and the education you are receiving. Everything happens for a reason, we may never know why, but there is a reason. 

"People come into your life and people leave it... you just have to trust that life has a road mapped out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment